Asian and South Asian Heritage Month program
May 3, 2023, 6:15 PM to 8:00 PM
Please join the Law Society of Ontario and its partners for this year’s virtual program that will examine the socioeconomic disparities associated with the rising cost of living and inflation in the aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic. Our speakers will discuss the legal and policy implications of these economic disparities and their impact on access to justice and access to legal information and services for members of the Asian and South Asian communities.
The program will also highlight two grassroots movements that are working to empower members of Asian and South Asian communities through education, support, and advocacy to combat systemic inequality and promote greater equity and justice. Our special guests include representatives from Butterfly, an organization that supports Asian and migrant sex workers in Toronto and beyond, and Tareekh pe Tareekh, a public legal education campaign that educates about basic employment law issues through a series of short videos in several South Asian languages. The guest speakers will share their experience and insights on the challenges faced by these marginalized communities and the vital work being done to improve their lives.
- Jacqueline Horvat, Treasurer of the Law Society of Ontario
- Devin Persaud, President, South Asian Bar Association of Toronto (SABA), and Senior Associate, Goodmans LLP
- Jack Yu, Director, Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers (FACL), and Partner, Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP
- Jaspal Sangha, Director, South Asian Bar Association of Toronto (SABA), and Associate, Margie Strub Construction Law LLP
- Vipin Saini, Executive Director, Seva Food Bank
- Yonit Fuhrmann, Deputy Director, Pro Bono Ontario
- Vincent Wong, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Windsor, and PhD candidate, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University
- Elene Lam, Executive Director, Butterfly: Asian and Migrant Sex Worker Support Network, and PhD candidate, School of Social Work, McMaster University
- Richa Sandill, Co-founder, Tareekh pe Tareekh, and Staff Lawyer and Employment Law Team Lead, Don Valley Community Legal Services
- Anchal Bhatia, Co-founder, Tareekh pe Tareekh, and Staff Lawyer, South Asian Legal Clinic of Ontario